Historic Markers Across Alabama



167th Infantry (4th Alabama) / Alabama's Own



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: in the median of Johnson Avenue east of Lower Wetumpka Road, Montgomery, Alabama
County: Montgomery
Coordinates: N 32° 25.59    W 086° 16.977
  32.4265    -86.28295
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMDAZX
 



Text:

167th Infantry (4th Alabama)


An Alabama regiment was formed in 1836 to defend Fort Foster in Florida. Same unit, designated the 1st Volunteers ten years later, served in Mexican War . Mustered again May 4, 1861 as the 4th Alabama Infantry Regiment, it fought in every major battle in the Eastern Theater of the Civil War. The 4th distinguished itself in Battle of Manassas, the first major battle of the war when it plugged gap in Confederate lines beside Brig. Gen. T.J. Jackson's brigade and repulsed several Union regiments. In that fight, Jackson acquired the name "Stonewall."


"Alabama's Own"


The 4th Alabama Infantry trained here in 1916 at Vandiver Park, later named Camp Sheridan, for Mexican Border service. Designated the 167th Infantry Regiment in 1917, it returned from the Border to train here, then fought in France during WWI with Douglas MacArthur's brigade in the 42nd "Rainbow" Division. The 167th was at the front longer than any other U.S. regiment. In 1923, assigned to the 31st Inf. "Dixie" Division. Activated November 1940, Pacific Theater of WWII. The Division was called up for the Korean War in January of 1951.


Erected 1992 by Alabama Historical Association.







End of 167th Infantry (4th Alabama) / Alabama's Own