Historic Markers Across Alabama



Decorative Lions Heads — 1907-1978 —



Marker ID:  
Location: at the intersection of Commerce Street and Dexter Avenue, Montgomery, Alabama
County: Montgomery
Coordinates: N 32° 22.659    W 086° 18.555
  32.37765    -86.30925
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Decorative Lions Heads
1907-1978


— Presented to Montgomery by First Alabama Bank of Montgomery, N.A. —


These decorative terra cotta lions heads, typical of the ornamentation used in commercial style architecture in the early part of the 20th century, were utilized by the First National Bank of Montgomery on the cornice of their 12 story building from 1907 to 1978. Organized on April 18, 1871, the first location of the bank was on Dexter Avenue which was then called Market Street. In 1975, the name of the bank was changed to First Alabama Bank of Montgomery, N.A. Extensive renovations to the 12 story building in 1978, including the removal of the lions heads, created a new look for First Alabama and the downtown Montgomery area.







End of Decorative Lions Heads — 1907-1978 —