Historic Markers Across Alabama



St. Peter's Roman Catholic Church



Marker ID:  
Location: on South St. Lawrence Street south of Washington Avenue, Montgomery, Alabama
County: Montgomery
Coordinates: N 32° 22.525    W 086° 18.364
  32.37541666    -86.30606666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMD598
 



Text:

St. Peter's Church has occupied this site since a small wooden church, begun in 1833, was built on land donated by Mr. Edward Hanrick. Rt. Rev. Michael Portier, D.D., first Catholic Bishop of Mobile, dedicated the first church on April 25, 1834. A brick structure, comprising most of the present edifice, replaced the original church and was dedicated on September 10, 1852. An extension of twenty-five feet in front -- the current Spanish-style facade and towers -- was added in 1882.

Erected 1984 by The Congregation of St. Peter's Church.







End of St. Peter's Roman Catholic Church