Historic Markers Across Alabama



Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church



Marker ID:  
Location: on Rosa Parks Avenue, Montgomery, Alabama
County: Montgomery
Coordinates: N 32° 21.738    W 032° 21.738
  32.3623    -32.3623
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church was organized in 1918 at this location by ministers of what later became the American Lutheran Church under whose auspices the congregation organized a day school on the property across the street. That school served the children in the area and was an integral part of the church's ministry. In 1959 the congregation became part of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod. In 2003 Trinity merged with Grace Lutheran Church to become United Evangelical Lutheran Church Mrs Rosa L. Parks, the mother of the Civil Rights Movement regularly held meetings of her NAACP Youth Council at Trinity during the 1950's. The pastor during the Montgomery Bus Boycott was Robert Graetz whose parsonage, located next door, was the target of two bombs and other attacks. A third bomb, which would have killed the entire family failed to explode.
The pastor at the time of this dedication is Rev. Ferry L. Nye, Sr.

Dedicated in 2006. 50th anniversary of the Montgomery bus boycott.

Erected 2006.








End of Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church