Historic Markers Across Alabama



Bertha Pleasant Williams



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: At the Rosa Parks Library, intersection of Early St and Rosa L, Parks Ave., Montgomery, AL
County: Montgomery
Coordinates: N 32° 21.543    W 086° 19.011
  32.35905    -86.31685
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMF6JC
 



Text:

First black employee of Montgomery library system, Bertha Pleasant Williams received a high school degree in Fairfield, AL in 1939, a degree from Alabama State College (now ASU) in 1943, and, in 1949, a BLS degree from Atlanta University. Her first job was elementary teacher at Snow Hill Institute, teaching all subjects. Upon Montgomery's funding a public library for blacks in 1948, Williams came as librarian, receiving special recognition "so that adults and children of Afro-American communities can have their first use of Public Library Services." For twelve years served in this capacity, and in 1960, when new branch library opened on Cleveland Avenue, she became the Head Librarian, working there for over nine years. Upon leaving city library, she moved to Alabama State University Library for seven years and as Head of the rare Book Collection and archives for another seven. In 1993, Alabama State University recognized her fifty years of contributions to library service and education with a special Golden Graduation Diploma. Bertha Williams served as President of Montgomery Alumnae Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. between 1954 - 1956 as she continued as Head Librarian of the Union street Library for Coloreds. The Alabama Library Association also honored Bertha Williams.

Sponsored by
The Fortitude Foundation - Montgomery Alumnae Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.
Alabama Historical Association
2012







End of Bertha Pleasant Williams