Historic Markers Across Alabama



Site of the White House of the Confederacy



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: On Lee St, at Madison Ave., Montgomery AL
County: Montgomery
Coordinates: N 32° 22.676    W 086° 18.698
  32.37793333    -86.31163333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WME637
 



Text:

On this site stood The First White House of the Confederacy

William Sayre built his townhouse here between 1832 and 1835. On February 21, 1861, the provisional Confederate Congress leased it for the Executive Residence. President Jefferson Davis and his family lived here before the CSA capital moved to Richmond.

The White House Association saved the house, moved it next to the Capitol, restored it, dedicated it as a museum, and gave it to the people of Alabama on June 3, 1921.

Sponsored by the White House Association of Alabama
Alabama Historical Commission 2012







End of Site of the White House of the Confederacy