Historic Markers Across Alabama



Moore - Tyson - McPhillips Home



Marker ID:  
Location: On Felder Ave west of Dundar St, Montgomery, AL.
County: Montgomery
Coordinates: N 32° 21.500    W 086° 17.603
  32.35833333    -86.29338333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM3GJ0
 



Text:

On April 22, 1908, the Cloverdale Company issued the original deed on this lot to Cloverdale Homes, a development company. On April 19, 1909, Cloverdale Homes deeded this property to its original occupant Leuis H. Moore, a local banker, and his wife, Sarah J. Moore. The original house had a white clapboard exterior.

Following other owners, the house was conveyed away on May14, 1923, to Warren Tyson, whose wife, Mildred Keller Tyson, was the sister of world renowned Helen Keller, a frequent visitor to the house. The Tysons, reflecting the architectural rave of the early 1920’s, changed the house exterior to a Tudor style.

On January 7, 1981, Julian L. and J. Leslie McPhillips purchased and renovated this house, preserving its historical character. The McPhillips were instrumental in developing the Fitzgerald Museum, 2 houses east, and Mr. McPhillips is the subject of a book,” The People's Lawyer”.

Erected by the Helen Keller foundation
2004



Notes:

This historic home was a place frequently visited by Helen Keller. Her sister lived in this location.



End of Moore - Tyson - McPhillips Home