Historic Markers Across Alabama



The Oaks Plantation



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: At the intersection of Marler Rd and Ave. of the Oaks, Montgomery, AL
County: Montgomery
Coordinates: N 32° 21.434    W 086° 02.709
  32.35723333    -86.04515
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WME1YB
 



Text:

House built ca. 1830s by Alexander Carter on small land holding. Increasing fortunes led to a 1780-acre diversified and innovative plantation. Oak trees planted on either side of front drive led to its name. During WWII, an auxiliary landing strip, called Mt. Meigs Field, was built on the land by Army Corps of Engineers, and was used for training by American, French, and British aviation cadets from Gunter Field, as well as by "Tuskegee Airmen" from Moton Field. Prominent families who owned The Oaks included those of Edward Pierce, E.T. Davis, William Nicrosi, Price McLemore, Tine Davis, Wayne Dawson.

East Montgomery County Historical Society
Alabama Historical Association







End of The Oaks Plantation