Historic Markers Across Alabama



House of the Mayors



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: On S Perry St, Montgomery, AL
County: Montgomery
Coordinates: N 32° 22.267    W 086° 18.439
  32.37111666    -86.30731666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMDCHN
 



Text:

Built in the 1850's for Jack Thorington, mayor of Montgomery in 1838-39, this House has also been the home of Mordecai Moses, mayor in the late 1870's, and Joseph Norwood who had been mayor of Fort Deposit before coming to Montgomery. Moses owned the home from 1879 until its purchase in 1893 by Norwood whose family converted it into apartments in 1940. The House has undergone several alterations and exhibits excellent architectural ornamentation which evidences the tastes of each period of change. In 1979, the House was restored for use as a tourist center and office building for the State.

Alabama Historical Association 1979







End of House of the Mayors