Historic Markers Across Alabama



Montgomery Freemasonry



Marker ID:  
Location: On Commerce St west of Bibb St, Montgomery, AL
County: Montgomery
Coordinates: N 32° 22.758    W 086° 18.656
  32.3793    -86.31093333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMDA92
 



Text:

Montgomery Freemasonry

1821: Nine Masonic Lodges formed Grand Lodge of Alabama F. & A.M and Montgomery Lodge No. 11 organized. Town founder Andrew Dexter among charter members. First hall built west side, upper Commerce Street, 1823. When city became capital in 1846, Grand Lodge located here. 1852: Andrew Jackson Lodge No. 173 organized. Temple built at Bibb and Commerce, 1872. Grand Lodge of Alabama dedicated new Temple at Washington and Perry, 1898. Masonic Home built on Vaughn Road, 1911. New Grand Lodge Temple built at same site, 1964.

Erected 1992 by the Montgomery County Masonic Conference

Montgomery Freemasonry

Freemasonry is a fraternal order which promotes a spirit of brotherhood, devotion to family, and service to God and country. Local Masonic Lodges and affiliated organizations, such as the Eastern Star, Scottish and York Rite bodies, the Shrine, Rainbow Girls, and Order of DeMolay, support many beneficial charities, medical facilities, and educational foundations.

Erected 1992 by the Montgomery County Masonic Conference







End of Montgomery Freemasonry