Historic Markers Across Alabama



Confederate States of America (CSA) Post office Department



Marker ID: ABT 
Location: 111 Washington Avenue, Montgomery, AL
County: Montgomery
Coordinates: N 32° 22.586    W 086° 18.430
  32.37643333    -86.30716666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMFTTF
 



Text:

In February, 1861, delegates from six of the seven seceding southern states met in Montgomery to establish the government of the CSA. Newly elected President Jefferson Davis named J. H. Reagan of Texas as Postmaster General. Reagan established the Post Office Department in this building on the corner of Washington Ave. and Perry St.

The U.S. Postal service continued to deliver mail throughout the South until June 1, 1861 when the Confederate Post Office Department began their operations. The U.S. Postal Service then suspended mail delivery in the Confederacy. After the war began, four more southern states joined the Confederacy. In late May, 1861, the CSA government, including the Post Office Department, moved from Montgomery to Richmond, VA. Postmasters had to create their own stamps or write "paid" on the mail. The first CSA stamp was printed in Richmond and issued in October, 1861.

This building is listed in the National Register of Historic Places as part of the Perry St. Historic District.

Marker erected by Montgomery Area Stamp Club
2012







End of Confederate States of America (CSA) Post office Department