Historic Markers Across Alabama



Brewer Memorial Church



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: At the church on Flowers Rd, south of Vaughn Rd, Cecil, AL
County: Montgomery
Coordinates: N 32° 18.064    W 086° 00.515
  32.30106666    -86.00858333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMJ3XF
 



Text:

Brewer Church began in 1898 with 10 members in a one-room structure at its current location in Cecil, AL. Construction of the sanctuary occurred a few years later. Brewer Church was named for its first pastor, George Evans Brewer, a former State Senator and commander of the 46th AL Regiment in the Confederate Army. Rev. Brewer was also instrumental in establishing the Talladega School for the Deaf and Blind and Bryce Hospital in Tuscaloosa. After 1968, the church sat silent for many years due to an aging & declining membership. In 2008, local families revived the church and its cemetery, with blessings from the Montgomery Baptist Assoc.

Erected by the East Montgomery County Historical Society and Alabama Historical Association







End of Brewer Memorial Church