Historic Markers Across Alabama



The Montgomery Slave Trade



Marker ID: AHC 
Location: on Commerce Street near the Hank Williams Museum, Montgomery, AL
County: Montgomery
Coordinates: N 32° 22.766    W 086° 18.659
  32.37943333    -86.31098333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMJP3A
 



Text:

Montgomery had grown into one of the most prominent slave trading communities in Alabama by 1860. At the start of the Civil War, the city had a larger slave population than Mobile, New Orleans, or Natchez, Mississippi. Montgomery attracted a growing number of major slave traders whose presence dominated the city’s geography and economy. The Montgomery probate office granted at least 164 licenses to slave traders operating in the city from 1848 to 1860. Slave trader’s offices were located primarily along Commerce Street and Market Street (now Dexter Avenue). Over time, Montgomery became one of the most important and conspicuous slave trading communities in the United States. After the Alabama legislature banned free black people from residing in the state in 1833, enslavement was the only legally authorized status for African Americans in Montgomery.

Erected by the Black Heritage Council, Equal Justice Initiative and the Alabama Historical Commission.







End of The Montgomery Slave Trade