Historic Markers Across Alabama



The Domestic Slave Trade



Marker ID: AHC 
Location: on Commerce Street near Water Street, Montgomery, AL
County: Montgomery
Coordinates: N 32° 22.871    W 086° 18.790
  32.38118333    -86.31316666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMJP3J
 



Text:

In 1808, the United States Congress banned the importation of slaves from Africa. At the same time, the high price of cotton and the development of the cotton gin caused the demand for slave labor to skyrocket in the lower South. The Domestic Slave Trade grew to meet this demand. Over the next fifty years, slave traders forcibly transferred hundreds of thousands of enslaved people from the upper South to Alabama and the lower South. Between 1808 and 1860, the enslaved population of Alabama grew from less than 40,000 to more than 435,000. Alabama had one of the largest slave populations in America at the start of the Civil War.

Erected by the Black Heritage Council, Equal Justice Initiative and the Alabama Historical Commission.







End of The Domestic Slave Trade