Historic Markers Across Alabama



Montgomery's Slave Depots



Marker ID: AHC 
Location: at the intersection of Monroe St and S. Lawrence St, Montgomery, AL
County: Montgomery
Coordinates: N 32° 22.717    W 086° 18.367
  32.37861666    -86.30611666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMJXV8
 



Text:

Montgomery slave traders operated depots where enslaved men, women, and children were confined. The slave depots functioned as active trading sites and as detention facilities where the enslaved were held captive until they were auctioned at Court Square. The city had four major slave depots. Three of the depots lined Market Street (now Dexter Avenue) between Lawrence and McDonough and were owned by Mason Harwell, S.N. Brown, and E. Barnard & Co. In 1859, Montgomery had as many slave depots as it did hotels and banks. The slave trade continued to thrive in Montgomery even during the Civil War. As late as 1864, Thomas L. Frazer opened a new slave depot on this block and sold boys and girls "of all descriptions.

Black Heritage Council, Equal Justice Initiative and the Alabama Historical Commission.







End of Montgomery's Slave Depots