Historic Markers Across Alabama



Montgomery's Slave Traders



Marker ID: AHC 
Location: at the intersection of Monroe St and S. Lawrence St, Montgomery, AL
County: Montgomery
Coordinates: N 32° 22.717    W 086° 18.367
  32.37861666    -86.30611666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMJXV9
 



Text:

Vast plantations with large slave populations emerged in Alabama's Black Belt beginning in 1820. Montgomery's proximity to the Black Belt made the city a center for slave trading in Alabama. From the river, down Commerce Street and to this block, slave traders worked next door to shop owners and other business establishments. E. Barnard & Co. operated at 88 Commerce Street. Mason Harwell, one of Montgomery's most active slave traders, kept an office at 21 Market Street (now Dexter Avenue). On a single day, Harwell sold hundreds of enslaved men, women, and children, alongside livestock. Across the South, slave traders were generally among the wealthiest and most influential citizens in their communities.

Black Heritage Council, Equal Justice Initiative and the Alabama Historical Commission.







End of Montgomery's Slave Traders