Historic Markers Across Alabama



Chantilly Plantation



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: Vaughn Road, just west of Chantilly Parkway, Pike Rd, AL
County: Montgomery
Coordinates: N 32° 20.696    W 086° 06.264
  32.34493333    -86.1044
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMQ3YZ
 



Text:

Chantilly Plantation was purchased in 1832 at public outcry by Dr. Thomas Burge Taylor of Columbia, SC as a wedding gift for his bride, Harriott Pinkney Raoul. John Ashurst, its original owner, had moved further west. Harriott, a French woman, chose the name Chantilly after Chantilly, France. She was responsible for enlarging the home and landscaping the grounds in the 1830s. Chantilly supplied many goods to other area plantations. Dr. and Mrs. Taylor had no children, so Chantilly passed to his sister's children, the Charles, who lived at Rose Hill. Chantilly has descended to Dr. Taylor's heirs for eight generations.

East Montgomery County Historical Society
& the Alabama Historical Association







End of Chantilly Plantation