Historic Markers Across Alabama



The Montgomery City Federation of Women’s Clubs



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: 409 Union Street near Scott St., Montgomery, AL
County: Montgomery
Coordinates: N 32° 22.406    W 086° 17.964
  32.37343333    -86.2994
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMRMYQ
 



Text:

The Montgomery City Federation of Women’s Clubs


The Montgomery City Federation of Women’s Clubs, established in 1939 to strengthen “Colored Women’s Clubs” and youth affiliates, expanded opportunities for blacks in Montgomery, particularly when virulent racial segregation suppressed them. In 1943, the federation established headquarters here at 409 South Union Street, which it named the Community House. Prior to the founding of the MCFWC, two pre-existing clubs, the Ten Times One is Ten (1888) and the Anna M. Duncan (1897) advanced state clubwomen’s development of the Mt. Meigs facility for delinquent boys (1908) and another for girls (1919), which the State of Alabama operates today. Later, in 1939 the MCFWC, which included the Phyllis Wheatley Art and Literary Club (1928), joined forces with the sponsor of these projects, the Alabama Association of Colored Women’s Club, and its regional and national tiers. In that same year, the Agnes J. Lewis, Dora Beverly, and Les Comrades were launched. Subsequently, the Sojourner Truth (1946) and the Excelisor (1947) became federated clubs. With a motto “Lifting as We Climb”, the MCFWC and its affiliates remain in existence to further their historic tradition of community service.

Alabama Historical Association







End of The Montgomery City Federation of Women’s Clubs