Historic Markers Across Alabama



Chris’ Hot Dogs



Marker ID: ABT 
Location: Dexter Ave., just west of S. Lawrence St., Montgomery, AL
County: Montgomery
Coordinates: N 32° 22.640    W 086° 18.405
  32.37733333    -86.30675
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMVR1P
 



Text:

Chris’ Hot Dogs
Established In 1917


Greek immigrant Christopher Anastasios Katechis opened Chris’ Hot Dogs on May 1, 1917, at 138 Dexter Avenue. Until the 1960’s, Chris offered curb service for its hot dogs, leading to long lines of cars cued for service. The hot dogs featured Chris’ “secret” chili sauce, known by only a few family members and shipped all over the world.

Chris’ served millions of customers during its first 10 decades, ranging from local regulars and Alabama governors to four American presidents. President Franklin D. Roosevelt often ordered boxes of hot dogs when his train traveled through Montgomery. Harry Truman, George H.W. Bush and George W. Bush ate at Chris’ while visiting.

Other customers ranged from George C. Wallace to civil rights leaders including Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Country singer Hank Williams was a regular. Elvis Presley ordered Chris’ hot dogs before a Garrett Coliseum concert.

The founder’s son Theo Katechis and grandson Costas “Gus” Katechis celebrated a century of serving the city its favorite hot dogs in 2017.

Erected by the Alabama Tourism Department.
2017







End of Chris’ Hot Dogs