Historic Markers Across Alabama



Old Elam Baptist Church Cemetery



Marker ID:  
Location: 2526 Cong W L Dickinson Drive, Montgomery, AL
County: Montgomery
Coordinates: N 32° 24.952    W 086° 13.986
  32.41586666    -86.2331
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMX9GF
 



Text:

Old Elam Baptist Church Cemetery


Old Elam Baptist Church Cemetery is Montgomery County's 22nd cemetery listed in the prestigious Alabama Historic Cemetery Register. Rev. James McLemore, Electious Thompson, Arnold Edwards, and E. Jeter founded Old Elam Baptist Church on June 19, 1819. Although founded by a white congregation, for its first 46 years the church and cemetery were integrated. In 1865, the deed for the church and 10 acres including the cemetery were passed to the church's African American members. The oldest graves date back to June 17, 1820. One grave belongs to a person born in South Africa in 1817 who was brought to America as a slave in 1823 and remained here until her death. The cemetery is diversified and holds the earthly remains for early settlers, slaves, sharecroppers, American and Confederate soldiers, educators, preachers, and successful businessmen and women. This cemetery provides powerful insights about the diligence and commitment of our ancestors. The Alabama Historical Commission listed this cemetery in the Alabama Historic Cemetery Register on March 19, 2013.

Marker Erected in 2014 by the Old Elam Missionary Baptist Church.







End of Old Elam Baptist Church Cemetery