Historic Markers Across Alabama



A County Older Than the State-Morgan County



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: is on Cain Street Northeast west of Ferry Street Northeast, Decatur, Alabama
County: Morgan
Coordinates: N 34° 36.455    W 086° 59.045
  34.60758333    -86.98408333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM24XQ
 



Text:

Alabama Territorial Legislature created this county in 1818 from lands ceded by Cherokee Indians in 1816. County first named Cotaco, for large creek in county.

Named Morgan County in 1821 for Maj. Gen. Daniel Morgan, Revolutionary hero, winner over British at Battle of Cowpens. County was often invaded by both armies in War between the States.

Until 1891 county seat at Somerville. Then county seat moved to Decatur. Named for Stephen Decatur, naval hero against Tripoli pirates and in War of 1812.

Erected 1958 by Alabama Historical Association.







End of A County Older Than the State-Morgan County