Historic Markers Across Alabama



Lacey's Spring



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: on U.S. 231 0.2 miles north of State Route 36, Lacey's Spring, Alabama
County: Morgan
Coordinates: N 34° 32.183    W 086° 35.333
  34.53638333    -86.58888333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Abundant water and fertile land in this area south of the Tennessee River attracted pioneer settlement in the early 1800s. The community established here by three Virginia-born brothers, Hopkins, John, and Theophilus Lacy, took on their name and became the site for a U.S. post office in February 1831. "Lacy's Spring" became "Lacey's Spring" when the postal seal furnished by Washington officials inserted an "e" into the name.

Hopkins Lacy had been active in Tennessee politics prior to his immigration in to Alabama and John reportedly had served in the North Carolina militia during the American Revolution. The Lacys became important landowners and leaders in the area, promoting settlement and serving in public office. all three brothers were buried in Bartee Cemetery, west of this site.

The spring that had drawn the Lacys to Alabama in the early 19th century was covered over by highway construction in the late 20th century. Built in the 1960s, the north-bound lanes of Hwy 231 obscured the spring but a 48-inch tile placed into the water source allowed the spring to continue flowing.

Erected 2001 by Alabama Historical Association.







End of Lacey's Spring