Historic Markers Across Alabama



Old State Bank Building



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: 624 Bank St., Decatur, Alabama
County: Morgan
Coordinates: N 34° 36.849    W 086° 59.017
  34.61415    -86.98361666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM24RF
 



Text:

Erected 1833, Cost $9,482. Classic Revival design. Listed on National Register of Historic Places. Decatur Branch, Bank of The State of Alabama. Chartered 1832 by state legislature, profitable until 1837, charter revoked 1842 and closed. 1842-1901 used as residence, Union Army supply depot, and First National Bank. 1901 purchased by Dr. F. Y. Cantwell. Renovated 1934 by C. W. A. as museum and civic Hall. Donated by Mrs. W. B. Edmundson and American Legion Post No. 15 to City. Restored 1982. Site is original lot No. 60 of 1824 Town Plan.

Erected 1983 by Alabama Historical Association.







End of Old State Bank Building