Historic Markers Across Alabama



Eva, Alabama: "The Little Town With The Big Heart"



Marker ID: ABT 
Location:
County: Morgan
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Side 1:
The town of Eva was originally called Cowhead when it was first settled in 1820. The community centered around Lawrence Cove Road, now known as Eva Road, with a population of approximately 170. The town was home to several businesses, including a lumber mill and gas station, and the main source of income was farming.

It is rumored the town was renamed Eva after a baby born on October 3, 1883. A meeting was held that day by Mr. Wiley Stewart, a prominent businessman in the community, to determine a town name for submittal as a requirement for obtaining a post office. Dr. Keller, the town physician, arrived at the meeting after delivering a baby named Eva and suggested using that name for the town. The baby born as Eva is thought to have been a close relative to Mr. William Rook, probably his daughter. The post office was finally opened in 1887 by Mr. Rook. It originally opened under the name of Cowhead, but was only in service for one month before closing and reopening under the name of Eva.


Side 2:
Eva was incorporated in 1963 with a population of 163 people. The town elected Roland Ryan as its first mayor, and he remained in that position until he passed away in 1993.

Today, Eva has a population of approximately 550, with 28 businesses, 6 churches, 2 restaurants, a medical and dental clinic, recreation park, public library and a community center. A new school building was constructed in 2005-2006 and today has a registration of approximately 450.

Since 1989, Eva has held their annual Frontier Days festival the last week in September. On the last Saturday of that month, large crowds of people and craftsmen gather to show off their wares and crafts. There is a parade which attracts a large showing of bands, horses, antique cars, and tractors. As of 2007, Eva has been listed in the Guinness Book of Records as having the largest hayride in the world.








End of Eva, Alabama: "The Little Town With The Big Heart"