Historic Markers Across Alabama



First Congregational Church of Marion Established 1869



Marker ID: AHC 
Location: on Lincoln Heights St at Church St., Marion, AL
County: Perry
Coordinates: N 32° 37.657    W 087° 19.701
  32.62761666    -87.32835
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMJEY3
 



Text:

Organized in Lincoln School by freed slaves & representatives of the American Missionary Association, an auxiliary of the Congregational Churches of America. Wherever a school was operated by the A.M.A. a church soon followed. Religion and education were viewed as a means of improving the conditions of former slaves & as a solution for many problems. Through the years the church has been a strong advocate of freedom & justice for all. In 1931 the Congregational & Christian Churches merged forming the Congregational Christian Church, which in 1957 joined with the Evangelical & Reformed Church to form the United Church of Christ.

This building was constructed by members & friends of the congregation in 1871 is the oldest & most unaltered example of an early black church in Marion. The first pastor was the Rev. G. W. Andrews & T. C. Stewart was the architect & contractor. National Register of Historical Places 12-17-1982

Erected 1986 by the congregation








End of First Congregational Church of Marion Established 1869