Historic Markers Across Alabama



Marion Military Institute



Marker ID: AHC 
Location: on Washington St. west of Grove St., Marion, AL
County: Perry
Coordinates: N 32° 37.426    W 087° 19.102
  32.62376666    -87.31836666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMJEYA
 



Text:

Founded in 1842 as Howard English & Classical School by the Alabama Baptist Convention, with Dr. S. S. Sherman as President, it later became Howard College. Lovelace Hall (Old South Barracks), built 1854, & the Chapel, built 1857, served the Confederacy as Breckenridge Military Hospital 1863-65 & along with the President's House, built 1912, are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. With the removal of Howard (now Samford University) to Birmingham in 1887, the remaining faculty & students under President J. T. Murfee reorganized as Marion Military Institute, a military preparatory school, junior college, & secondary school.

The Institute is justly proud that Woodrow Wilson was the Government Day speaker in 1905; the ROTC program was established in 1916; the stained glass windows in the chapel were designed by James D'Assenzo; & the Alabama Military Hall of Honor was established here in 1975.







End of Marion Military Institute