Historic Markers Across Alabama



The Alabama Baptist



Marker ID: ABT 
Location: On DeKalb St east of Bibb St., Marion, AL
County: Perry
Coordinates: N 32° 37.730    W 087° 18.983
  32.62883333    -87.31638333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMJEY0
 



Text:

The first issue of The Alabama Baptist was published in Marion, Alabama. General Edwin D. King, a Judson trustee, offered his office for use in printing and distributing the paper from 1843-1852. The building was owned by Milo P. Jewett, president of Judson College. The paper returned to Marion from 1873-1877. Since 1919, The Alabama Baptist has been published in Birmingham as an entity of the Alabama Baptist Convention. The original office of The Alabama Baptist, located across from Siloam Baptist Church, was moved to the Judson campus in 1997 and restored.







End of The Alabama Baptist