Historic Markers Across Alabama



The Marion Female Seminary



Marker ID: ABT 
Location: At the old Marion Female Seminary Building on Monroe St. near Spring St., Marion, AL
County: Perry
Coordinates: N 32° 38.072    W 087° 19.278
  32.63453333    -87.3213
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMJEXW
 



Text:

One of the earliest colleges for women in America. Founded in 1835, was the first of four colleges established in Marion, "The Athens of Alabama." This building, erected in 1850, contained the art studio of Nicola Marschall, who designed here in 1861, the first Confederate flag-The Stars and Bars-as well as the grey uniform of the South. From 1916 to 1970 the building served as a local public school.

Entered National Register of Historic Places 1973.







End of The Marion Female Seminary