Historic Markers Across Alabama



Oak Grove Presbyterian Church



Marker ID: AHA 
Location:
County: Pickens
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Organized at this site, Franconia, Ala. in 1837. The edifice of colonial architecture included a slave gallery and an amen corner. The congregation moved to Aliceville in 1906 and established the First Presbyterian Church.

Founders and heirs are interred in the adjacent Oak Grove-Franconia cemetery which contains a section for family slaves who were also church members. The old building was moved to Aliceville in 1931 and is now used as a community church.








End of Oak Grove Presbyterian Church