Historic Markers Across Alabama



Pickens County Courthouse



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: at the intersection of Court Square North on Court Square North, Carrollton, Alabama
County: Pickens
Coordinates: N 33° 15.714    W 088° 5.7
  33.2619    -88.095
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMNGK5
 



Text:

Pickens County Courthouse
Erected 1877-78

Pickens County, named for General Andrew Pickens of South Carolina, was established December 19, 1820.

First County Seat was Pickensville. On March 5, 1830 the U.S. government awarded 80 acres of land at Carrollton for the County Seat. The first courthouse erected at Carrollton was burned April 5, 1865, by troops of Union General John T. Croxton.

A freedman, Henry Wells, was accused of burning the second on November 16, 1876. He was arrested January 1878, and confined to the garret of the present building. According to legend, as Wells peered out of the north window, at a mob gathering below, lightning struck nearby, indelibly etching his image on the pane.

Erected 1974 by Alabama Historical Association.







End of Pickens County Courthouse