Historic Markers Across Alabama



Summerville Industrial High School



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: Co. Rd. 13
County: Pickens
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Summerville Industrial High School
1937 - 1958


On this site in September 1937, Summerville Industrial High School opened under the leadership of Otis James Brooks, who remained its principal throughout its existence. The new school, which consolidated the smaller schools of Emory Chapel, Wilder’s, Nolan, Union Valley, and Good Hope, initially had five teachers and 100 students engaged in general academic studies. In 1939, with vocational agriculture and home economics added to the curriculum, Summerville Industrial High School had 16 teachers teaching 500 students.

The school was named in honor of Hugh S. Summerville who donated the land for the campus.

Sponsored by Summerville/Kirksey Alumni







End of Summerville Industrial High School