Historic Markers Across Alabama



Little Oak United Methodist Church



Marker ID: AHC 
Location: on a dirt road about 100 yards off Little Oak Road, Little Oak, Alabama
County: Pike
Coordinates: N 31° 43.901    W 086° 3.249
  31.73168333    -86.05415
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Little Oak United Methodist Church
(Originally Bethel)


This church was the outgrowth of a meeting held on December 25, 1829 by Rev. M. Snider and John Carnally 7½ mi. S.W. of Troy. Approximately fourteen members and a Rev. Sayles formally organized the church in the Fall of 1830. It was known as Bethel Methodist Church until some time after 1908 when its name changed to Little Oak.

Five houses of worship have served the congregation. The present building, the third built on this site since 1848, is a fine example of turn-of-the-century church architecture. It was dedicated March 29, 1908 by Rev. O. S. Welsh, aided by S. R. Pelley, H. C. Threadgill, W. S. Price, C. L. McCartha and W. Bancroft, pastor.

Erected 1985 by The Memorial Association and the Alabama Historical Commission.







End of Little Oak United Methodist Church