Historic Markers Across Alabama



First United Methodist Church



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: North 3 Notch Street at East Walnut, Troy, AL
County: Pike
Coordinates: N 31° 48.52    W 085° 58.32
  31.80869      -85.97206
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMCXXG
 



Text:

The Methodist Episcopal Church of Troy was organized in 1843. The first building was constructed in 1858, on land donated by Ann Dowdell Love, affectionately known as "Granny Love." The second structure was erected in 1888.

The present edifice, completed in 1904, was designed Frank Lockwood in neo-Romanesque style; the sanctuary is neo-Classical with a saucer-dome ceiling, pendentive arches, and Scamozzi Ionic columns.

Building was placed on the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage by the Alabama Historical Commission on June 30, 1995.

Erected 2002 by Alabama Historical Association.







End of First United Methodist Church