Historic Markers Across Alabama



Rodgers School



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: Pike Co. Road 2203 at Pike Co. Road 2204, north of Goshen, AL
County: Pike
Coordinates: N 31° 47.28    W 086° 6.703
  31.78811      -86.11172
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Built ca. 1860 on land donated by transplanted Georgians Hugh Ross and Tabitha Miller Rodgers, this school educated Pike County youths until consolidations closed its doors in 1935. Between 1923 and 1935, it was under the direction of H. M. Curry who labored with short terms, limited facilities, and scarce funds. Despite issuing neither report cards nor diplomas, Curry and fellow instructor Sue Edwards Carter were responsible for successfully preparing more than twenty of its graduates for college entry during the school’s “golden age.” The Rodgers School continues to serve as a community center and inspiration to future generations.

Erected 1995 by Alabama Historical Association.







End of Rodgers School