Historic Markers Across Alabama



Troy University



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: University Avenue in front of C.B. Smith Hall, Troy, AL
County: Pike
Coordinates: N 31° 47.92    W 085° 57.43
  31.79873       -85.95729
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMCY58
 



Text:

Troy State Normal School was established by the Alabama General Assembly in 1887. Land and the first building for the original downtown campus and land for the present site were provided by the City of Troy. The College was moved to the present site in 1930. The State Board of Education authorized the College to grant the bachelor’s degree in 1929 and the master’s degree in 1956.
The College was placed under a separate Board of Trustees in 1967. The Board of Trustees approved the name change to Troy University effective August 2005. Troy University’s evolution has been reflected in its several names:

Troy State Normal School 1887
Troy State Normal College 1893
Troy State Teachers College 1927
Troy State College 1957
Troy State University 1967
Troy University 2005

Erected 2006 by Alabama Historical Association.







End of Troy University