Historic Markers Across Alabama



Randolph County



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: US Hwy 431 at AL Hwy 48 on courthouse lawn in Wedowee, AL
County: Randolph
Coordinates: N 33° 18.56    W 085° 29.07
  33.30937    -85.48466
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Randolph County



Created December 18, 1832, from Creek Indian cession and named for U.S. Senator John Randolph of Virginia. Wedowee, the county seat, is named for the chief of a Creek Indian village which once occupied this site. First court was held near Triplett's Ferry on the Tallapoosa River, west of Wedowee.

Erected by the Randolph County Historical Society.







End of Randolph County