Historic Markers Across Alabama



Roanoke Doll Factory - 1900-1925



Marker ID:  
Location: on Vaughn Street, Roanoke, Alabama
County: Randolph
Coordinates: N 33° 9.066    W 085° 22.313
  33.1511    -85.37188333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Roanoke Doll Factory
1900-1925



Founded March 31, 1864 by evangelist Moses Park. William Terry Kirby, Sr. and Nancy T. Greer Ella Gannt Smith, artist, inventor, manufactured in this building the famous Roanoke Dolls. The dolls, completely handmade, featured a head molded of plaster of Paris enclosed in a tight cotton fabric cut and stuffed to resemble body, hands and legs. Facial features of each doll were hand-painted, no two being alike. At her death, April 2, 1932, Mrs. Smith held eleven patents. The factory, built by her husband, S. S. Smith, was later converted into an apartment house.

Erected by the Randolph County Historical Society.







End of Roanoke Doll Factory - 1900-1925