Historic Markers Across Alabama



Louina



Marker ID:  
Location: On Lee St (AL 22) just east of the Tallapoosa River bridge, Wadley, AL
County: Randolph
Coordinates: N 33° 07.042    W 085° 33.509
  33.11736666    -85.55848333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMNHXD
 



Text:

One mile north, on the east bank of Tallapoosa River, was located Louina, named for an Indian woman who operated a trading post. Settled 1834, it became chief business center in Randolph County with county's first newspaper, schools for boys and girls, Baptist and Methodist Churches, Masonic Lodge, grist mill, wool factory and cotton gin. Company of Confederate soldiers organized here August 1, 1861. Last store closed 1902 and post office moved eastward to Concord and named Viola. Among outstanding descendants from Louina's settlers was U.S. Senator J. Tom Heflin.







End of Louina