Historic Markers Across Alabama



Asbury School and Mission 1 Mile North of Fort Mitchell



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: Located on U.S. Highway 165 at the entrance to the Fort Mitchell Park adjacent to the Fort Mitchell National Cemetery, Fort Mitchell, Alabama.
County: Russell
Coordinates: N 32° 20.82    W 085° 1.146
  32.347    -85.0191
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMNJMP
 



Text:

In September 1821, Reverend William Capers was sent to Fort Mitchell, by the South Carolina Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church, to negotiate with the chiefs of the Creek Indian Nations for a mission which would teach their children reading, writing and other white-man skills. In 1822 Asbury Manual Labor School was established with Reverend Isaac Smith, Superintendent; 33 resident students; 3 teachers; houses; school; and farm. The school closed in 1830 following the removal to the West of a portion of the Creek Tribe. The Asbury Mission site was designated a United Methodist Landmark in 1984.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, the Alexandria UMC and the AWF Conference 1984.




Notes:

Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  1984



End of Asbury School and Mission 1 Mile North of Fort Mitchell