Historic Markers Across Alabama



Battle of Girard / Before The Battle



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: on the grounds of the Russell County Courthouse on 14th Street in Phenix City, AL
County: Russell
Coordinates: N 32° 28.355    W 084° 59.987
  32.47258333    -84.99978333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

BATTLE OF GIRARD


The decisive action in the last battle of the War Between the States occurred here at the center of the Confederate defensive line. At 8 p.m. on April 16, 1865 Union forces led by Major General James H. Wilson charged in the darkness from the hills to the west. They broke through the defense and pushed on to the wooden covered bridge across the river. The Confederates, believing they been cut off by the Federals, made a wild dash for the bridge also. There was utter chaos as both armies in pitch darkness, jammed the narrow structure with men, horses and wagons. In the dark, friend and foe were indistinguishable.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Russell County Historical Commission, 1990.


BEFORE THE BATTLE


All day that Easter Sunday the Confederate forces commanded by Colonel Leon von Zinken awaited the Union army they know was on the way from Tuskegee. Lacking the men needed to hold it, they were forced to leave the line they had prepared on the hills to the west and man an inner line from the mouth of Holland Creek northward through this position. Left undefended, the Dillingham street bridge was packed with oil-soaked cotton waste and burned about 2 o'clock when Federal van-guard attacked it. Failing in their effort, the raiders withdrew behind the hills until they attacked after dark.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Russell County Historical Commission, 1990.




Notes:

Marker Dedication or Erection Date: 1990




End of Battle of Girard / Before The Battle