Historic Markers Across Alabama



Confederate Fort



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: U.S. 280 just north of Stadium Dr, Phenix City, AL
County: Russell
Coordinates: N 32° 28.957    W 085° 01.880
  32.48261666    -85.03133333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WME7AD
 



Text:

On the hill to the northwest is an earthen fortification built in 1863 as part of the defenses on the Confederate navy yard, iron works and other war-related industries in nearby Columbus, Georgia. Designated Fort #5 on the plan done by the CSA engineers, the well-preserved fort has three cannon emplacements. It is pentagonal, of 90 foot side. Escarpments are 30 feet. Trenches flank the central unit. During the attack by Federal troops under Major General James H. Wilson on April 16, 1865, the fort and other outer defenses were no manned due to lack of Confederate manpower.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Russell County Historical Commission, 1988.




Notes:

Marker Dedication or Erection Date: 1988




End of Confederate Fort