Historic Markers Across Alabama



Coweta Tallahassee (Kvwetv Tvlvhassee)



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: Brickyard Road, Phenix City, Alabama
County: Russell
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

One of the founding or "mother" towns of the Lower Creeks, Coweta Tallahassee (Coweta Tribal or Old Town), located on the Chattahoochee River to the east, was a red or war town. Spain, England, and to a lesser extent, France, competed for its allegiance. The English trader and adventurer Henry Woodward reached the town in 1685, but the Spanish had preceded him by many years. The Spanish burned the town near the end of the 17th century, after which the Cowetans moved to the Ocmulgee River to the east. At the end of the disastrous Yamassee War in 1715, the townspeople returned to the Chattahoochee to found New Coweta a few miles upriver.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Phenix City-Russell County Chamber of Commerce, 2004.



Notes:

Marker Dedication or Erection Date: January 1, 2004




End of Coweta Tallahassee (Kvwetv Tvlvhassee)