Historic Markers Across Alabama



Crockettsville - Crawford, Alabama



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: on U.S. Highway 80 on the grounds of the Crawford United Methodist Church, Crawford, Alabama.
County: Russell
Coordinates: N 32° 27.408    W 085° 11.382
  32.4568    -85.1897
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMJ7AQ
 



Text:

SIDE 1:
The community of Crockettsville was settled at about the time Russell County was formed in 1832. Among the first settlers were Jerry Sagar and Green Sewell. It was named in honor of David "Davy" Crockett who served as a scout in Andrew Jackson's Tennessee Militia at the Battle of Horseshoe Bend in 1814. The name of the city was changed to Crawford in 1843 by Act of the Alabama Legislature. This was done to honor the family of William Harris Crawford (1772-1834), a distinguished Georgia teacher, lawyer, duelist and statesman. The city served as the seat of government for Russell County from 1833 to 1868.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Russell County Historical Commission 1986.


SIDE 2:
S. H. Baldwin laid out Crockettsville in 1840, complete with lots and streets. The city limits extended about one-half mile in every direction from the courthouse which stood facing east on the present site of Crawford United Methodist Church. The jail was across the street to the east. "Golgotha Hill," located one-half mile north of the city and east of the cemetery, was the site of executions by hanging. Crawford Masonic Lodge no. 863, F & M (originally Tuckabatchee No. 96), across the road to the south, was built in 1848 and served intermittently for Lodge meetings, school classes and church services.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Russell County Historical Commission 1986.



Notes:

Marker Dedication or Erection Date: January 1, 1986




End of Crockettsville - Crawford, Alabama