Historic Markers Across Alabama



Franchise Baptist Church / Central Girard Colored School



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: 1000 Dillingham Street Phenix City, Alabama.
County: Russell
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Franchise Baptist Church


This church was organized in 1852 under a brush arbor on the banks of the Chattahoochee River. Members also met in Girard Baptist Church when the noise from riverboats interfered with worship services. Land was later donated for a "colored" church and school which was called their "franchise." After the adjacent Central Girard Elementary School burned in 1956, the church purchased the vacant property. Pastors from 1852-2001 are: Stone, A.E. Meyers, A.W. Snowden, R.T. James, S.A. Harvey, and M. Wiggins, and Raymond Cochran, Sr.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Franchise Missionary Baptist Church, 2001.


Central Girard Colored School


Established in 1897, Central Girard School was the first facility constructed for "colored" children in Phenix City. It was a four-room wooden building located on Church Avenue between Dillingham and Gale Street. Principals included G.W. Allen, 1897-1905; A. A. Peters, 1905-1923; J.M. Brown, 1923-1944; L.N. Randolph, 1944-1957; and Clarence Bibb, 1957. The first superintendent was L. P. Stough who served from 1923-1955. The school was remodeled in 1943 and burned in 1956.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Franchise Missionary Baptist Church, 2002.



Notes:

Marker Dedication or Erection Date: February 24, 2002




End of Franchise Baptist Church / Central Girard Colored School