Historic Markers Across Alabama



Hurtsboro United Methodist Church



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: in front of the Hurtsboro United Methodist Church, Front Street, Hurtsboro, Alabama.
County: Russell
Coordinates: N 32° 14.378    W 085° 24.694
  32.23963333    -85.41156666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMJ9Y3
 



Text:

Originally built in 1865, the First Methodist Church in Hurtsboro, then called Hurtsville was located in Olivet, about 4 miles south. The building burned and a wooden church was built on this site in 1876. It was replaced in 1906 by the present brick building during the pastorate of Reverend W.S. Street. In 1947 a Sunday School Annex was added. The church is a significant landmark, as its beauty and stained glass windows are well known throughout the Alabama-West Florida Conference.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Hurstboro United Methodist Church, 1994.

Dedication date: 4-22-1979




Notes:

Marker Dedication or Erection Date: 1994




End of Hurtsboro United Methodist Church