Historic Markers Across Alabama



Macedonia Missionary Baptist Church / Macedonia School



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: located about 8 miles east of Seale on CR 18, Seale, AL
County: Russell
Coordinates: N 32° 16.100    W 085° 03.450
  32.26833333    -85.0575
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMMPFB
 



Text:

MACEDONIA MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH


Macedonia Baptist Church was organized in 1870 by Pastor Robert Fegins with the assistance of twelve members from Providence Baptist Church. The first person baptized in the church was Mr. Charles Smith who later became Sunday school superintendent. He became assistant pastor of the church in which capacity he served until his death in 1922. Following the remodeling of the church in 1990 it was resolved that the name be changed to Macedonia Missionary Baptist Church.

Erected by The Macedonia Missionary Baptist Church and the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, 1999.


MACEDONIA SCHOOL


Macedonia School was established early in the twentieth century. The one-room frame building was heated by a pot-bellied stove and had no water or electricity. Mrs. Matilda McCoy was the school's first known teacher. On November 16, 1917, Mr. B. G. Jenning, chairman of Russell County Board of Education, authorized a three-month per year contract for a teacher at $25 per month. The contract was approved January 1, 1918. Mr. William H. Person, the second teacher, was responsible for securing electricity for the school in the late 1940’s.

Erected by the Russell County African American Historical Preservation Society, Inc. and the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, 1999.




Notes:

Marker Dedication or Erection Date: December 12, 1999




End of Macedonia Missionary Baptist Church / Macedonia School