Historic Markers Across Alabama



Mount Olive Baptist Church



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: on U.S. Highway 165, Fort Mitchell, Alabama.
County: Russell
Coordinates: N 32° 22.390    W 085° 02.226
  32.37316666    -85.0371
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMNJP2
 



Text:

This church was organized in 1877 by Brothers Robert Anderson, Sr., Manuel Edmond and Robert Fluellen. The first services were conducted by Reverend D.L. Griffin under a brush arbor on the Flournoy Plantation. During Griffin's pastorate Anderson, Edmond and Fluellen were named deacons and the church moved to Mt. Olive School. A new wood frame building was dedicated on May 2, 1897 under the leadership of Reverend L. F. O'Bryan. Members worshipped here until the Flournoy Plantation was sold to the Bickerstaff's who donated five acres of land on the condition that the church relocate to its present site. This was accomplished in 1947 by the Reverend Henry Harris. In 1964 and 1993 the church building was renovated.

Erected by the Mount Olive Baptist Church and the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, 1998.




Notes:

Marker Dedication or Erection Date: 1998




End of Mount Olive Baptist Church