Historic Markers Across Alabama



Old Russell County Courthouse / Russell County Courthouse



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: Located off of US 431, Seale, Alabama, in front of the courthouse.
County: Russell
Coordinates: N 32° 17.904    W 085° 10.05
  32.2984    -85.1675
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

OLD RUSSELL COUNTY COURTHOUSE


During the Federal occupation of the former Confederate States of American, the Alabama Legislature created Lee County primarily from the northern half of Russell County in 1866 and ordered the selection of the county seat "more centrally located." Government in Russell County was practically non-existent at the time; few records were kept and taxes levied only for favored political purposes. An election was called; Seale won. Simeon O'Neal and Cicero McBride selected this commanding site. John Lewis was architect.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Russell County Courthouse Association 1984.


RUSSELL COUNTY COURTHOUSE


Political opportunists kept confusion reigning; another election was held in 1868; Seale won; excavation began; records were removed from the former county seat at Crawford to a nearby store until rooms were sufficiently complete. Permanent funding was not enacted until 1871, the total cost being $9,600. Simeon O'Neal was the contractor. The wing rooms, the inside chairs, and the exterior rebricking was accomplished in 1908. In 1935 the branch at Phenix City was elected the county seat with Seale remaining a branch until it was closed in 1943.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Russell County Courthouse Association 1984.



Notes:

Marker Dedication or Erection Date: 1984




End of Old Russell County Courthouse / Russell County Courthouse