Historic Markers Across Alabama



Pilgrim Hill School



Marker ID: HCC 
Location:
County: Russell
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

About 1919, the Russell County Board of Education acquired this property from Job United of America and established a community school, with classes for grades one through six, for colored children. The last teacher to teach in the one room school was Mrs. Caroline Stone. In 1954, when a second room was added to the school, Mrs. Katie McCoy Mitchell became the first teacher-principal. Among the teachers who served this school were: Mrs. Birlee J. McIntyre, Mrs. Marvin Dudley, Mrs. Pearlee Stephens, Mrs. Sarah Fegan and Mrs. Maggie Neal Williams. The school closed on May 29, 1964, with the students being reassigned to Mount Olive School.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission And the Russell County African American Historical Preservation Society, Inc. 2003




Notes:

Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  November 2, 2003



End of Pilgrim Hill School