Historic Markers Across Alabama



Seale United Methodist Church



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: at the intersection of Courthouse Street and Chapel Street, Seale, Alabama
County: Russell
Coordinates: N 32° 17.952    W 085° 9.978
  32.2992    -85.1663
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

SIDE 1
The Methodist Congregation, of which the church as Seale was organized in 1842, were pioneer families with a deep faith in God and a clear vision of the future. This group centered around a small meeting place and a schoolhouse located on the north side of the Federal Road about 12 miles west of the Chattahoochee River. This church was called Glenn Chapel, a memorial to the old preacher, James E. Glenn. The preaching place, a sort of community center, was established near the home of Sterling Bass. The schoolhouse faced the east and Glenn Chapel west, at what was known as the Sterling Bass Cemetery.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Seale United Methodist Church, 1993.


SIDE 2:
The Church was dismantled and the congregation moved to Silver Run in 1866, which date is the official one for the establishment of the Seale Church. The Church, originally built at Silver Run, was not on the present site, but was within the enclosure of the present cemetery. The present Methodist Church was built about 1876. In 1949, three Sunday School rooms were added and a later expansion included classrooms, restrooms, kitchen and fellowship hall. The sanctuary was remodeled in 1962. On December 6, 1992, the Church's 150th Anniversary was celebrated and in June 1993, it received the Heritage Award at Annual Conference.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Seale United Methodist Church, 1993.




Notes:

Marker Dedication or Erection Date: 1993




End of Seale United Methodist Church